Tuesday, January 23, 2007

State of the Union


Besides the obvious holes in the presidents address. Like the fact that the War on Terror is probably the biggest consumer of fuel in the world, I want to talk about his tax cuts for health care.

If you haven't noticed, the health care system in America is completely broken. I know pure Smithian economists would say its broken because there is not enough true competition, but I think if Smith were alive today, he would probably agree with me that its really hard to compete the health care service. If I am dying on the stretcher, I don't want to find out who has the best deal, I want them to save my ass. Period.

Here is the gist, the President has proposed a tax cut for the money you and I spend on health care. Sounds like a good deal right? Well it doesn't really help the millions of Americans who are still without health care. They aren't going to make any more money, and the prospect of a tax cut means about nothing to the average person who lives without health care.

Its sort of like saying, the people don't have bread to eat. Well, let them eat cake.

No comments: