Monday, September 3, 2007

Thought on College Football Week 1

I know there is some debate, but I'll call it the biggest upset ever. Appalachian State goes into the big house and beats #5 Michigan. Appalachian State may be the best 1AA team, but there still 1AA. There are some serious questions about Michigan's D after this game. There next game is home against Oregon who runs a similar type spread offense. It will be interesting to see if Michigan can bounce back.

Even after the big upset in Ann Arbor, I thought one team looked worse; Notre Dame. I really thought going into this game that Charlie Weiss would concoct a offense game plan in order to beat Georgia Tech at South Bend. To be honest, his game plan was extremely boring. They started with Jones at QB and basically handcuffed him by not calling a single pass play on their first two possessions. The tough part for ND is that I don't see a winnable game on their schedule until they play Navy and that by no means is a gimme.

I thought Wisconsin looked pretty good. Not good enough to win the Big Ten, bu they did look good. I know everyone in Madison is probably going nuts over Tyler Donovan, but don't get to far ahead of yourself. WSU has the worst pass D in D1. You should be a little worried that they were fairly effective against your running game and the fact that they put up 14 in the first quarter. The next two games are gimme's, but home against Iowa will be a challenge.

I think VT is happy just to have gotten that first game over with. Everyone wanted VT to blow out a good ECU team, which was a little unrealistic with VT's offense. I'm not sure how next weeks LSU/VT game will pan out, but I don't think they have enough to beat the Tigers.

Huge win for Cal. Any time you can beat a ranked SEC team, its a good week. Tennessee should be happy with what they did on O. If you subtract the one fumble returned for a touchdown, this would be a completely different game. Both these teams will be in contention in their respective conferences.

As far as gambling is concerned, I started off extremely hot, hitting 6 of 7 going into tonight's game. If FSU covers, I'll be 7-1. The ND game is the only blemish. Obviously this won't last, so next week I'll probably go 1-7.

No comments: