Wednesday, August 29, 2007

My Top Ten College Football Teams

I covered the Big Ten the other day and I would have like to have covered all the other major conferences, but I'm not that good. But I will give you a run down of my top ten teams. More specifically, this is how I think they'll finish out the season.

10. Wisconsin--With any luck, they could be at the top of this list. Aside from QB, this is better than last years team. But, they're schedule is going to get the best of them. By the way, why are offensive linemen so much bigger in Wisconsin than in Minnesota? For the last 5 years is hasn't even been close. Wisconsin always has 5 300lb behemoth's and the gophers has a bunch of 275lb TE's. Did I mention I'm glad Glenn Mason is gone?

10. Alabama Nick Saban is a great coach. He's not the best at finding good NFL jobs, but he's still a winner. He is walking into great situation at 'Bama and I really see this team pulling off some big wins. They have GA, AR and LSU at home, which makes those winnable (even against LSU). I see them taking at least 2 of them. They play @ FSU and the Iron Bowl's on the road, but if they win 1 of those games, they'll be in a BCS bowl.

9. WVU There backfield is super explosive. I think their toughest game will be @ Rutgers following @ USF. I think they lose one of those two. They have Louisville at home following a bye, so this team has a legit shot at going undefeated. Their problem is that one lose in the Big East is more than enough to knock them out of National Championship contention.

8 Georgia My least favorite thing about the SEC, is that they never leave their neck of the woods to play a football game. I'm pretty sure that the Bulldogs haven't crossed the Mason Dixon line or the Mississippi River in the last 10 years for a non-bowl game. The furthest they travel this year is to Knoxville. That game, @ Alabama and the Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail party are their toughest games. If the lose to Bama, you can swap their spots.

7. Ohio State I think Lloyd Carr finally beats these guys. Plus I think PSU will knock them off as well. Their other tough game is against the Badgers.

6. PSU They have a senior QB and a bunch of studs at WR to complement an always outstanding D. I think Joe Pa stuck around for this season. He wants to go out on top. Their only hick up will be in week 5 @ Michigan. They'll have enough space between that and the end of the season to move up to at least here. With a little help they could be closer to the top.

5. Va Tech I really like this team. I think they'll breeze through the first part of the ACC season. If Butt Face Beamer can stop his team from tailing off at teh end of the season, it could be a great year. There toughest game by far is at LSU which is probably the best non-conference game since the first OSU/Texas game 2 years ago. They'll be tested at home by FSU and Miami, but I still think they finish with just one loss and a ACC championship.

4. LSU I think just about everyone is picking them, USC or Michigan to win it all. And there is nothing wrong with those picks. LSU's toughest road game will be at Bama, but its following a bye week, so they should be prepped for it. I don't see a lose on the regular season schedule, but the SEC is so tough, you have to think they lose once. I'll go out on a limb and say its the SEC championship against the Bulldogs.

3. Michigan They end the season at Wisconsin than against OSU. If they're offense is healthy, they should be able to get it done. They have PSU at the big house to start the season. Lloyd Carr has won a national championship before and this team has a great shot at getting it done. Why are the #3? They'll lose at Illinois.

2. USC Its amazing how much talent they have. If you were a high school running back, why would you want to play for them? You may get 50 carries a year as a senior. Did I mention that I think Pete Carroll is an idiot? He's smart enough to hire good assistants, but I don't think he brings much to the table. They'll go undefeated fairly easily. At Cal may be scary, but they have the team to beat anyone anywhere.

1. Oklahoma Seriously, what fun would it be if I didn't go out on a ledge? They return 15 starters from last year. They haven't had a ton of luck the last two years which I think will turn around a little this year. Bob Stoops is not Pete Carroll. He's gotten his average teams to do great things, where Carroll fucked the Jets up. When they beat Texas, it will be fairly clear sailing for the rest of the season. At 10-1, I'm jumping on them for a future bet. They have the talent and coach to get it done.

1 comment:

Felix said...

For some reason I have to agree the boys from the University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa have a shot at a good record because they have all of their tough games at home and drop Florida off the schedule. I don't think there's a chance they beat LSU although the Arkansas and Georgia games are certainly winnable. But remember Arkansas was still trying to figure out who they were (took that destruction of Auburn to realize they were a power running team). I think they lose to FSU after having to brutal SEC games (Arkansas and Georgia) prior to heading to Jacksonville. But they're not getting past my Tigers and the boys from Tuscaloser will have to wait one more year before they can try and regain bragging rights. Here's where if you were an Alabama fan you'd have to bring up how many national titles you won under Bear Bryant 90 years ago.