Saturday, April 14, 2007

BBQ ribs


I'm a huge ribs guy. I love them. We'll, I love dry ribs that have been slow cooked over an open fire. And they have to be pork. Sorry Texas, but beef ribs are OK, but its not really the same. They just don't have the flavor and texture that pork has.


Memphis in my mind has the perfect ribs going on. Dry with sauce on the side, with a spicy rub and some smokey flavor. If your ever in Memphis, which I recommend visiting even though the segregation is unbelievable (that's another blog), you need to visit Rendezvous in downtown Memphis. The place is simply incredible. I'm not really eloquent enough to describe the atmosphere of the place. Its a window less cave with red and white checkered table clothes, old black men as waiters, and beer served in short handled mugs. The food is so good, I dream about it after I leave. The last time I was in Memphis we ate dinner there, went out for a few drinks and on our way out of downtown I had to stop and get a slab for the rode. Its the Mecca of all things pork.


Well, I've tried to make my own mecca in my backyard. I've been getting more and more adventurous on my Weber grill. The ribs are turning out good, but the quality of pork available in a Muslim country leaves much to be desired. Its sort of like buying a toothbrush at a gas station, there is only one choice. I've got the wood chips, dry rub and slow cooking, but I haven't been able to match the flavor of a Rendezvous slab. But don't worry, I'll succeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That doesn't exactly look like out fence....
:)

Felix said...

Are you a direct or indirect grilling kind of guy? I would think for ribs you'd want to go indirect to slow cook those juices and flavors into the meat. Now I'm hungry!