Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On to the NFL

I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time this past summer review college football teams and where they are headed. Unfortunately, my time spent on college football has significantly limited the amount of time I’ve spend on the NFL. But a lack of preparation didn’t prevent me from getting a college degree, so why would it stop me from predicting the results of the NFL season. I’m just going to cover the playoff teams briefly.

AFC
1. San Diego: While I think their talent is on par with New England and they have a much weaker coaching staff, I also think they have a much easier schedule and are bound to be lucky than they were last year. The whole Tila Tequila thing has got to have the Bolts fans worried, but I think the team named for a “whale’s vagina” will be able to bounce back. They are favored by 9 this weekend and I like them to cover.
2. New England: Tom Brady is back, along with Randy Moss and Wes Welker. With those three alone, they should put up 35 points a game. I’m a little worried about their defense because they have lost a lot of key players over the last few years. But I wouldn’t doubt it too much since Bellichik is a defense guru and knows that depth is as important a studs especially on D.
3. Pittsburgh: This team always finds a way to win. They have good depth and are well coached.
4. Colts: No Harrison this year, but I don’t think WR will be an issue for them this season. If their O line can give Peyton time and if they can slow people down just a little on D, then they’ll be a playoff team easy. If Peyton gets beat up because of lousy pass protection, then they could be in trouble. I think the Texans are their biggest threat this year. The Jags and Titans will dip off.
5. Houston: I like their schedule better than the Ravens and Dolphins although I think the other two are better on paper. If they can keep their QB standing, they’ll be in the playoffs.
6. Ravens: I worry about their offense scoring on a consistent basis, but their D is probably good enough to carry them into the playoffs.

NFC
1. GInts: I really like this team this year. They are still very experienced after winning the Super Bowl 2 seasons ago. I think they’ll be able to move the ball consistently on offense but I’m a little concerned about their execution in the red zone. I’ve read in a couple of places that teams who struggle in the red zone one year but are good otherwise usually rebound. Others say losing Plaxico was the reason for the struggles. We’ll see.
2. GB: Love the Packers this year. I think they might have the 2nd best offense outside of New England. I’m slightly concerned about the switch to the 3-4 defense, but the Jets did it when Mangini took over and they were fairly effective. The division is pretty tough, but their schedule looks good otherwise.
3. New Orleans: They open vs the Lions with a 13 point line. They should be able to score enough to compensate for a very ordinary defense. The NFC west is always a crap shoot and I’d rather have my money on Drew Brees then the other 3 QB’s.
4. Seattle: I think we’ll see them open up the offense a little more this year as they move away from the old fashioned west coast offense to more spread formations. I think Hasselbeck will thrive with a new head coach.
5. Cowboys: This pick is contingent on Tony Romo playing 16 games. If I were Jerry Jones, I’d sign Jeff Garcia for an insurance policy because the offense has really sputtered when he’s been injured. Garcia has a similar style and would probably keep them rolling into the playoffs if Romo got hurt.
6. Vikes: I don’t like the Favre signing very much if only for the fact the guy is old and pretty out of shape. I’d honestly like to have Garcia instead of Favre. Obviously he doesn’t have the same track record, but the guy isn’t falling apart at the seams like Favre. The vikes D and running game is good enough to carry them most of the way, but I don’t think they’ll be as good as most of the Purple People think.

No comments: