Monday, February 23, 2009

Day 1

So I've decided to go ahead with a few minor diet changes. Originally, I planned on trying to purchase most of my foods locally, while also limiting the amount of meat I eat to around 5 or 6 ounces a day (about the size of a McDonalds burger). Well the first part of that diet proves to be very difficult especially for an American living in Germany. So while I'm still going to pay attention to where my food comes from, I'm not quite ready to take that leap yet. But what I have done is committed myself to eating lot less meat.

So here is how the first day transpired.

Breakfast: This one is an easy kill. I probably eat meat with breakfast once or twice a month. So not getting any bacon or sausage doesn't really upset me too much. But one thing I did change up was that instead of using the individual serving oatmeal, I bought one of those huge tubs of it that could literally serve an army. First off, oatmeal is pretty bland without anything in it, so if anyone has any ideas on how to spice it up, let me know. For right now, I'll stick with some brown sugar and maybe some cinnamon. Also, the instructions on the tub make at least twice as much as the small package. What's up with that? Furthermore, I've added a fiber pill to my morning routine. Needless to say, the JC processing plant is running at optimal conditions today.

Mid morning snack: Yeah, I eat one. It's better than your neighbor's cubicle for snickers or Doritos. If you like yogurts, Germans' make some great stuff. The one's I like come with a little thing of coco crispies on the side. Good stuff. I usually don't crave beef jerky before lunch, so this didn't change.

Lunch: This is where the big change is going to happen. Most of my lunches had been made up of turkey or chicken sandwiches, some chips and maybe some fruit. Well, no more turkey sandwiches, so I decided to give some tomato soup a try for the first day and wow, was I surprised. I think it was a Progresso home style or something like that, but it kicked ass. I'm a big fan of tomato soup and order it when I see it on the menu, but this was nearly as good as any restaurants soup I've had. Plus I brought a big hunk of wheat bread as well. More than satisfying.

Late afternoon snack: I started off with an orange that I planned on chasing with some diet Dr. Pepper. The soda is just ok, but I really need some caffeine with my lunch and haven't found anything better. I would go back to making iced tea, but I drink way to much of that when I make it. Literally, I can hammer down 2 quarts a day. Anyways, the office with the snack fridge had a going away today and had a few left over desserts. Desserts don't have meat! Sweet. So I helped myself to a piece of cream cheese walnut you better run a couple of miles tonight pie and a brownie that wasn't really worth it. Like you would have done any differently?

Dinner: The wife has literally been talking about my diet change more than me. Yesterday's last meal was baked chicken, baked potatoes, broccoli and a brownie Sunday (hey, I like brownies). So I decided to take the chicken carcass and try and make some soup out of it. I figure there would be at least 5 bowls of soup, and no way could anyone of them contain more than 4 ounces of meat. The soup turned out OK. I'll have to give it another shot. It seemed pretty bland to me. But that and some more bread, peaches and yes, a brownie was more than adequate.

Yeah, as you can tell, this isn't a weight loss diet. I could never do that because it would involve giving up beer, but it's an attempt to revert back to diet that wasn't so heavy on meat. I'll give it some time and see if my thoughts change.

No comments: