Friday, February 20, 2009

Good New Music

We are nearly two months into 2009, and there are already a couple of CD's that are worth stealing off the internet picking up. First, there is Andrew Bird's "Noble Eagle". I love it when an artist is such an egomaniac that he or she goes it alone. My buddy always told stories about NIN's first tour and Trent would go out on stage with him and a computer and just get booed off the stage because there weren't any guitar players to rock out with. I guess people like to have guitars when they mosh. In my mind, that is the perfect concert. Tori Amos is at her absolute pinnacle when she's alone with her piano and key board. Though if you listen to her talk, she's never alone. She puts the razy in crazy. I saw Howie Day open for her in Vegas and he used some loop device and his guitar and that was it. It was enthralling. Excluding the two 250 pound lesbians making out in front of me, it's one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Plus seeing Tommy Lee hitting on a waitress before the show, really put it over the top. I put Jack White in the same group because while touring as the White Stripes, he basically goes on stage with his retard sister/ex-wife and rocks his ass off.

Bird does his best Howie Day impersonation on this album. Bird takes on this CD all by himself and is actually touring that way. You can actually download one of his concerts from NPR.ORG/music. That sight is a whole nother blog in itself. By no means is this a CD you'll want to listen to while running your 3 miles, but it perfect for an evening cocktail and a game of phase 10. Smooth, mellow and not in any way depressing. It's a hit in the Carter house.

If you looking for a work out CD, Franz Ferdinand has got it. Their music is such cliché, it's really hard to describe. If I went to clubs in Europe, I imagine this is what they'd play in the VIP area. It's simply a fun CD you'll find yourself rocking your head to. The lead singer sounds like the kind of guy you wouldn't trust alone with your wife or sister. If you like rock and roll, then you'll dig Tonight.

In other music news, the guys in TV on The Radio are black. I was absolutely shocked. I feel like Dr Dre after he discovered Eminem. I was floored when I saw them appear on SNL. I always pictured them as being trendy metro sexual type guys, but no shit; they are two black guys with crazy hair and 1 white guy who must play the drums or something. I didn't notice because I was so amazed to see to black guys performing their music.. Who knew? I haven't ripped their new CD yet, but I'll check it out soon.

No comments: