Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Wire, Season 1 Episode 11

I know no one is interested in reading about a canceled TV's shows first season that happened 6 or 7 years ago, but I just watched it again tonight for about the 15th time. You know what, I finally figured out why The Wire was ten times better than any other show ever. If you haven't checked it out yet, either you're a racist or you've just been too busy reading blogs that try and 'disprove' dinosaurs. The show was unafraid to step outside the simple cookie cutter ideas that most TV shows use. Take Friday Night Lights as an example. I think it's a top 5 show right now. Solid story line with great acting and slew of hot chics. Well worth the weekly downloads. But the thing is, they are afraid to step away from the main characters. Riggins has been high school senior for nearly 5 years. But because they're afraid audiences will lose their attachment, they continue to drag it on. I won't spoil the ending to this season, but if there is another FNL season, things will be a little different. The Wire wouldn't do that. Riggins would have graduated a long time ago and would have dropped out of college like all the rest of the kids from Permian High.

The Wire was so ballsy, they were willing to step away from their main characters at any given moment. Season 4 of The Wire is the most amazing 12 episodes of TV ever. I'm not even kidding. And the main 'star' from the show wasn't even an instrumental character. They introduced 4 new characters and really took it to another level.

Yet, because this has already happened, it makes me a little sad for what's on TV now. The only shows I look forward to are The Office and Chuck. The Office has put together a strong season and I watch Chuck because its remotely funny, the chics are smoking and they load the soundtrack with good music. Otherwise, there is nothing that peaks my interest.

I did watch the premiere of 'East Bound and Down' and laughed my ass off, but I'm not sure I'm in it for the long haul. How long can swearing in front of middle schooler's be funny? I'll let you know. Otherwise, I'll keep watching old episodes of The Wire and hope that they'll remember how good TV can be.

No comments: