Thursday, August 6, 2009

UFC 101

It's my favorite weekend of the month, UFC fight weekend. That's the best thing about the UFC, you are always guaranteed 1 solid night of fights every month, and sometimes you get luck and get two. Boxing always has a few headliners a year, but then there is a bunch of crappy undercards and 'who's that guy?' fights that just makes it less fun to follow. After last month's amazing UFC 100, I'm looking forward to UFC 101 on Sunday morning (my time). My boy Forrest Griffin is taking on one of the top three fighters in MMA, Anderson "Spider" Silva. But we also have a great lightweight fight in BJ Penn vs Kenny Florian. But just to make if fun, I'm going to pick a few fights, lay down a little cash, and hope to get lucky. Here are my thoughts going into UFC 101.


 

Forrest Griffin +290 vs Silva

I'm not sure how Griffin can win this fight, but the odds are just too good not to take him. Silva is amazing in the ring and I think he'll come out looking for blood after his last fight was one of the worst fights I've ever seen. Griffin is a seriously tough SOB. I love his personality and I don't think he's intimidated in the least bit. He's got enough of a size advantage that taking the odds seems like a good bet. Anything below +200 and I'd take Silva. But, as it stands now, I'm putting 1 unit on Griffin.

BJ Penn -250 vs Kenny Florian

BJ Penn is a great fighter at 155. He was completely dominated by GSP in his last fight, but so was everyone else. KenFlo is fun to watch and he'll bring it, but BJ is a tactician and will probably end this one early either by a TKO or submission. I actually feel that KenFlo should be a bigger dog that Griffin. BJ has dominated the lightweight division as much as Silva has the middleweight division, but Silva is moving up to light heavyweight to fight Griffin.

Thales Leites -350 vs Alessio Sakara

This won't be much of a fight and the odds don't leave me to bet anything but 2 units, but if you are into submissions, this should be fun to watch. Leites a super wrestler/BJJ guy and will take this to the mat as soon as possible. As soon as that happens, it will be a short match. If Sakara somehow keeps this standing, then it could go the other way. I just don't think it's possible.

Matt Riddle -180 vs Dan Cramer

My favorite line of the night. Riddle has looked good both times he's stepped into the ring. I think this is stepping stone fight for Riddle. If he's does well here, he'll get some stiff completion in his next fight.

Villefort -215 vs Jesse Lennox

Getting your first fight in the UFC is like being called up from AA to make your first start in the big leagues. Something about fighting in the octagon for the first time seems to get to people. Lennox is an experienced fighter, but this is his first time in the octagon. Good luck young fella, I'm betting heavy against you.

Let's win some money!!!

No comments: