Sunday, March 15, 2009

My First Discretion

I've been going at it for nearly three weeks and today was the first day I've eaten meat during lunch. I was on my first distinguished visitor flight and the stewardess put down a very delicious looking turkey and cheese wrap right in front of me. For about 1 second I thought about eating it, but this was a pretty good wrap. I'm glad the recession isn't affecting the military, because it turned out to be one of the best flights of my life.

I had originally planned on flying commercial from Frankfurt Germany to Seville Spain. Which sounds easy but Frankfurt is an hour drive from my house and Seville is a 45 minute drive from where I needed to end up. So if you tack on checking the bags and the layover at somewhere or another it was going to take me about 12 hours to travel to Moron. Flying a military flight, I dropped Lucy off at a friend's and am writing in my hotel room 5 hours later. Plus the seats on the plane made first class look cramped, the cookies were fresh, and there was no baggage claim or security.

But that doesn't excuse my slip up. I'll do my best to stick with pasta and salad to make up for it. All in all, I've done even better than I would have imagined. Most days I eat much less than 5 ounces of meat. Breakfast has been oatmeal, followed by a yogurt a few hours later. Lunch has been soup or a black bean wrap I found in a recipe book. What's surprised me is that I've also managed to cut out chips from my lunch without really noticing. Sandwiches always need a side of chips, but soup goes better with bread and the wrap works well by its own or with some fruit. Alicia has done really well in helping me out with dinner. We had pasta the other night, but she didn't throw in any meatballs.

I don't feel any different and I'm not sure I wanted too. Alicia asked why I was doing it if I didn't feel any different. My point is that we can't live the way we do eating the way we do and expect the environment to keep up. The amount of energy consumed producing meat is much higher than it cost for grain or wheat. Furthermore, the way that meat is produced in American is nearly unthinkable, which also produces a considerable amount of waste that ends up in our lakes and rivers. All in all, it's just a bad deal.

And I believe that the only way to change that is to lower the demand for meat. So that's what I'm trying to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And when are you moving to Russia, comrade?

Anonymous said...

No kidding! Waaah, the environment needs me--how many appliances do you have plugged into your outlets right now that don't need to be? And, no, that TV doesn't need to be plugged in when not in use or any of your appliances...and nice unnecessary plane ride. My bad, I guess saving 7 hours is more important than mother Earth. Hope you don't have a leather jacket in your closet either, Earth boy.

Anonymous said...

By the way, it's indiscretion, Merriam-Webster.