Wednesday, November 26, 2008

6 Shows I’m Watching

The Ultimate Fighter (FX). I've had my ups in down with reality TV, but I'm a big fan of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and this show is really just an extension of that. It revolves around a bunch of guys trying to get a Ten-thousand dollar UFC contract. It is amazing what a person will do for ten grand. They don't do any stupid voting or special immunity games. It is all about winning fights. The winner of each fight advances with the overall winner wins the contract. The other half of the show is all the guys getting wasted and trying their best not to get into fights at the house.

Entourage (HBO). Unless you've been under a rock for the last 4 years, you've heard of this show. I thought the first season was phenomenal, but thought the show was slipping up for during season 3 and 4. It picked up a little bit this season, but it still has some flaws. I think they've missed their mark in spreading the story line so much. I think they'd be better off focusing on Eric and Vince. Turtle and Drama are bit characters that have taken too much of role in the show. It's still worth half hour of your time.

Chuck (NBC). You have to suspend reality for a hour every week to enjoy this one. It is totally off the wall, extremely cheesy, but it also doesn't try to force laughs down your throat like most sitcoms. The show centers around a guy who has basically been thrown into the world of the CIA and NSA. Each episode has some terrible climax, but characters are easy to like, the sound track is a solid B+ and they continually bring in new hot chicks. This is a show I'd probably not enjoy if I had to remember to tune in every week, but since I steal it off the internet and watch it when I want without commercials; I've really grown to like it.

Brotherhood (SHO). Politics and gangsters, what more could you want in a drama? It doesn't try hard to make itself like the Soprano's, but it has taken too much of an ethnic line. The characters are all basically what you'd expect of politician and petty gangsters; they are dirt bags. They drink too much, do drugs and cheat on their spouses. The premise is based on a true story, which makes the story line a little more believable. I'm not sure what kind of ratings it gets, but I have the feeling next season will be its last.

The Office (NBC). At some point I thought this was the funniest show on television hands down. I'm not sure what the writers had in mind when the made Michael a complete asshole, but it hasn't worked. The brought in the chick from the Wire and tried to hook him up with her, but it totally didn't work for me. I've never once met a girl who was that weird or who'd put up with a jerk like that which made it feel very phony. Hopefully they come up with some way to turn it around.

Friday Night Lights (Who the hell knows?). My all-time favorite book is made into a TV show that has nothing to do with the book. Yeah, it centers on a high school football team and the town that is obsessed with it, but book was considerably rawer and didn't have nearly as many positive things to say about the town. But after dropping down last season, this season has really been great. They've done away with the unbelievable story lines (except for the idea that Riggins is 18) and made it a serious drama with a little football mixed in. I'd never watch the show if it weren't for the title and I think there are probably millions of women out there that aren't watching it because of the title. Bonus: Hot chicks galore.


 


 

No comments: