Sunday, December 31, 2006

College Football Pools

Everyone I know does a college basketball pool. You know, the brackets they pass around the office and the guy who university of Florida won last year. But not many people I know do college football pools.

There is just not the same thrill and challenge in the football pool. There is no final culminating game, where there is always one national champion. Football doesn't offer any of that, but if you like to gamble, talk trash with your friends, I highly recommend doing at least one.

I am doing two this year. And as of today, I have a shot at winning either one, though I doubt I will win either.

There are a couple of ways to do it. One is that you could just choose games and not worry about the point spread. Its pretty lame, but it could work. Upsets happen, and you would definitely have to step up and choose a couple if you wanted to win. The other way and and my opinion the best way is to have the point spread included in the picks.

Once you include the spread, you can make the rest of the rules as you see fit. In one pool every game has the same value until you get into the BCS games and then the value doubles. In the other, we ranked the games 1 to 32 in order of which games we felt were more of lock.

Next year before the bowl games, get together with your buddies and start a pool. Well worth your time.

No comments: